What is a Group Item in QuickBooks?
What’s a group item in QuickBooks? You’re about to find out…
Group Items in QuickBooks are a nifty tool for those companies which have inventories, and therefore use many an item in QuickBooks. However, if you always sell a certain set of items, it can get tedious to list every single item on invoices. Also, it’s easy with so many items and details to leave something out. Using group items solves these problems; group items simplify your process. Instead of adding each item individually, just add one group item – it contains the individual items. You can even decide if, on invoices, you want each individual part to be shown or not.
For example, if your company installs doors for people, you’ll always use a door handle, hinges, and the door itself during the job, so those items will always appear on your invoices. Instead of listing each item separately on an invoice, just create a group item entitled “Door Parts.”
How to set up a group item:
- Go to the Items and Services list
- Click Item, then click ‘New.’
- Under “Type,” select ‘Group.’
- Name the group item in the “Group Name/Number” field.
- Add a description if you like.
- If you select ‘Print Items in This Group,’ each individual item within the group will show on invoices and other printed materials.
- Add each item to the group – they can be items which are made already, or you can add them on the fly.
Your set up will look something like this:
When you create an invoice, just look for the name of your group item in the ‘Item Code’ drop down list. QuickBooks will show each individual item within the group, its price, and the total price of the group.
Group items are a great way to stay organized and simplify QuickBooks.
Did you know? ProOnGo supports items! Check out a list of QuickBooks fields ProOnGo supports.